Why can't Internet Explorer 6 "Open" a PDF from the PDFescape download prompt?
Posted by Chris Truxaw, Last modified by Chris (Staff) on 26 August 2013 01:34 AM
To replicate this issue:|
(1) Open a PDF in PDFescape using Internet Explorer 6.
(2) Click the "Download" button in the PDFescape to download your saved PDF.
(3) At the file download dialog (which will present the options "Open", "Save", or "Cancel"), click "Open".
Adobe Reader (or other PDF reader) when trying to open the file will display the error message:
Error opening file. The file cannot be found.
Unfortunately, this is a known issue with Internet Explorer 6. When choosing to "Open" the file directly, Internet Explorer 6 does not properly cache the file. Adobe Reader (or other PDF reader) is then unable to find the file when attempting to open it and shows this error message.
There are two workarounds for this bug in Internet Explorer 6:
(1) Upgrade to Internet Explorer 7 or Firefox (both of which do not suffer from this flaw)
(2) Chose to "Save" the file using Internet Explorer 6, and then open the file in Adobe Acrobat / Adobe Reader or whatever PDF viewer you are using.